Founded in 1999, the Texas CUREN is a member organization of Credit Union lending professionals working directly in the area of real estate. The Texas CUREN represents local and regional members involved in the real estate finance industry including Credit Union affiliates.
The mission of CUREN is to develop, educate, promote and provide a professional support system.
What are the benefits of joining the Texas CUREN?
In this climate of fast-pace change in the mortgage industry, Texas CUREN meetings are more important than ever. The value in CUREN meetings comes from the human-to-human connections that occur. Often people cite the impromptu “hallway conversations” that they have with other attendees as the most valuable parts of attending a quarterly meeting. While these are not on the agenda, or mentioned in the breakout sessions learning objectives, when two or more people begin to discuss topics on a deeper and personal level, the success of the event to those involved becomes irreplaceable. It is the people who develop relationships with that bring the most ROI to your time at a CUREN Meeting. Here are some other valuable reasons:
- Educational Opportunities. No matter how experienced you are in mortgage lending, everyone who attends can learn. Working in a credit union mortgage department can often be isolating, and without exposure to a variety of points of view, we can miss new ideas and trends that can impact future results. The educational aspect of CUREN can expose you to new ways of conducting your mortgage program and help you discover how to be more productive.
- Networking with peers. Quarterly CUREN meetings provide a great opportunity to network. Often other credit union or same industry people can become valuable resources for referrals and best-practices. Avoiding peers or other credit unions for fear of discovering your competitive advantage can limit your own success. Collaboration is the way to approach networking. Credit Unions help each other uncover ideas and spark inspiration when they get to know each other on a personal level.
- Encounter new business partners. Most people don’t really read spam emails, accept random sales calls, or care for vendors dropping in. However, industry suppliers are some of the best people for you to get to know if you want to learn more about the current mortgage industry climate. Discovering innovative products and services for your credit union is necessary to stay competitive in today’s fast-paced world. Plus, these vendors who sell to your credit union fully grasp what is happening inside your competition. Invest time with the sponsors at the event and turn them into your friends and allies.
- Position yourself as an expert. When you are active in your industry, you can develop a reputation as an expert to your peers and your clients. Those who are engaged over the long term are often asked to speak at the events or be on discussion panels. Like it or not, others like to associate with the experts in any industry. Members feel good about doing business with those that are celebrated by their peers. If your strategy is to be the best-kept secret in your local community, you will be missing a valuable opportunity.
- Have fun. Being a part of the credit union movement should be rewarding and fun. All work and no play can get old fast. CUREN meetings can add a layer of enjoyment to managing your career growth by mixing a social aspect into your learning and industry branding efforts. Taking an extra day at the beginning or end of the trip to explore or visit friends in the region is also a great way to maximize the investment in travel. Never underestimate the power of a little fun mixed with some interesting people!
Who is eligible for Membership?
Any credit union that shares the network’s interest in residential real estate finance. Mortgage and Credit Union friendly affiliates are also welcome.
How do I Join?
Click the “Membership” tab at the top. Provide us your information.